你为什么想来我们学校?
  这个问题有各种问法。
  有的学校直截了当:“为什么是布朗?”
  有的学校把这个问题作为复杂问题的一部分:
  “塔夫茨的课程或者本科学习的哪些方面让你想申请这所学校?”
  “你会如何在宾夕法尼亚大学探索你的学术essay写作和知识上的兴趣?请针对你所申请的本科学院进行作答。”
  或繁或简,这些题目问的都是一回事。
  为什么要问“为什么”?
  学生们在看到这个问题的时候往往内心还是有点不能接受。我花了这么多时间进行调查,准备申请材料,还交了申请费,难道不足以表示我对学校的衷心?
  很难说!
  实际入学率
  首先,大学们会更愿意给收到offer之后一定会来的人发录取信。学校的实际入学率(入学的学生人数占发出录取通知书总数量的比例)是学校进行宣传时的重要数据,也是影响学校排名的因素之一。学校如果想吸引更多的学生来申请,更高的实际入学率是最好的宣传材料。
  展示出的兴趣率
  一般来讲,越是竞争激烈的学校,录取学生时衡量的因素越多。大学想知道你有多想来,他们把这一个因素叫做“展示出的兴趣”。申请中的其他因素,比如成绩、分数、活动经历、推荐信等大致在同一水平的情况下,学校会更倾向于录取能更好的展示出自己对这所学校浓厚兴趣的学生。
  合适度
  “为什么选择这所学校”这个问题也突出了学校很重视彼此是否“合适”这个理念。高校不愿意看到学生大一之后就离开学校,而是希望所有学生入学之后都能毕业。如果数据够好看,很多学校也会把大一学生留存率和毕业率放到他们的宣传材料中。
  所以回答“为什么”这个问题非常关键!
  但是从我的经验来看,很多学生却是把这个问题放在最后来回答,好像这个问题的回答是不言而喻的。我敢保证大多数的学生花在这个问题上的时间都不及个人文书的十分之一。但事实上,对个问题的回答应该像你的其他文书一样精彩。
  下面,我就给大家举几个例子,逐个分析:
  以下例文均为学生原版,未经改动
  学生1:波士顿大学
  I want to study at a reputed university,with a stimulating environment as I have always lived in major cities where I can go to cafes,to hear music,to museums and sports events as part of my everyday life.Boston University has become one of the best in the US;it has top professors and is located in the middle of a historic city,and accessible to everything.It has a strong international relations program which would be perfect for me since I have attended a diverse international school.I noticed all these things when I visited.Given Boston University’s notable reputation and history,I would be excited by the opportunity to attend such a strong and knowledgeable institution...
  学生1拿到波士顿大学的录取了么?
  这位学生的回答几乎可以用在每一所大型的城市地区的学校。
  我作为招生官,能相信她是用心选择,认真思考才选择我的学校的么?
  当然不能。
  我能从这个学生的回答中看出她其他申请材料中所没有体现的东西么?
  也不能。
  这位学生的回答全部是笼统概括的语言:波士顿大学名声显赫,位于历史悠久的城市,从音乐会到图书馆,资源丰富,有国际关系专业。
  她所例举的事实都是招生官知道的,而且并非是波士顿大学的特别之处。她在文中写道的“来自一所学生非常多样的国际学校”通过通用表格里面的信息就可以得知。
  波士顿大学每年收到五万份本科申请。如果你每个申请季都看到成百上千份这样的文章,你会录取给出这样的回答的学生么?
  学生2:西北大学
  The most unique trait of Northwestern University is its focus on undergraduate research.I am very interested in biology and chemistry;I just love working in laboratories.In the“Gymnasium”,the Swiss pre-university school,we were often confronted with a problem that we had to solve in groups.Such problems could be as easy as distinguishing water from ethanol,or as complex as building a hydrogen fuel cell.To find a solution we were given time in our laboratory and could ask for practically anything we needed...
  A further very good quality of Northwestern University is its rather high rank and great reputation.I seek a good education and definitely appreciate it,if the university I attend is renowned.If I went to a second-rank college I would be better off studying in Switzerland...
  A last point is the location:It’s just great;right next to the lake,in the nice and cosy town of Evanston.You have the advantages of a small town,such as lots of greenery and a quiet environment,and yet Chicago is very close and accessible...
  学生3:西北大学
  Because I intend to pursue a career in photojournalism,I see the Medill School of Journalism as the Holy Grail of education.Offering the impressive intellectual and technical resources of a prestigious research university,Northwestern would provide me the confidence of knowing that I would be getting the most forward-focused education in journalism...The quarter system and Medill’s internship requirements create an ideal confluence for exactly that experience...
  Northwestern has a gorgeous location.When I visited the campus,I was smitten with Evanston’s cozy feel.Although I initially pictured myself in the heart of a city,Evanston eclipsed this vision.The small town environment is comforting without being limiting,offering plenty of cafés,restaurants,and shops to explore...Meanwhile,Northwestern’s scenic lakeside location is the perfect retreat for studying or relaxing...
  Brimming with enthusiasm,Northwestern has infectious school spirit.Because I assume leaving home after eighteen years will be difficult,I count on school pride to bring me a sense of community and belonging.From the famed painted rock to the fountain spewing purple water,the robust loyalty to the university captures my heart...In short,Northwestern is my dream school because it embodies everything I value:journalism,incomparable internship opportunities,dance,and an inspiring atmosphere...
  学生4:纽约大学
  这篇文章,在Parke Muth的博客中也可以找到。
  I’m done being a New Yorker born and raised in sheltered suburbia—I’m ready to get slapped in the face by the unforgiving hand of NYC and to become a true Noo Yawk-ah.While not an accurate representation of what all NYU students think,the NYU Secrets Facebook page constantly posts the thoughts of NYU students resenting the bittersweet independence of such a large,non-traditional school,but at the same time falling in love with the knowledgeable and nurturing faculty and classes.
  I’m done dancing around on the outskirts of the arena—I’m ready to plop myself right into the frenzied mist of action.No walls insulate NYU from the sprawling labyrinth of NYC,which is ideal for a unique and exciting college experience...
  另外三个学生的回答怎么样?
  这三篇文书要比第一篇多很多细节,更有说服力。他们都被录取了。我们来仔细看一看他们的回答,分析一下。
  注意:在学生2和学生3同样都是申请西北大学,却相隔了6年的回答中,他们都提到了同样的几个东西——湖,咖啡馆,还有舒适的氛围。
  学生1在他的回答中讲了自己的经历,却没有说是什么吸引他到那所学校。也就是说,他没有展示出自己对学校的兴趣。
  虽然说在回答中讲一讲学校的校园环境,位置等等并不是坏事,但是要想到每年都有成千上万的学生给出同样的回答。这是个很矛盾的情况:很多学校确实是想通过自己的位置体现出语其他学校的不同,比如靠山,比如临近地铁站。但是学生却不能都以此为选择大学的理由。招生办的招生官们知道自己的学校在哪,知道他们的校园是什么样子。如果不利用这个问题的回答好好展示自己与学校是多么般配,光来描述学校的位置的话,就白白浪费了一个很好的机会。
  虽然各大院校都极力地宣传自己,但是你不能机械地在你的申请中重复这些内容,浪费你申请材料的宝贵空间,尤其是你字数有限的时候。学生2和3都提到了学校排名和声望,但是都与自己的申请目标和计划结合了起来。相比之下,学生1的语言是苍白无力的。
  一般学校能问的出“你为什么选我”这种问题的话,都是好学校,自己是什么排名,他们头上的光环,不用你再去提醒他们。
  很多学校会把这个问题的回答限制在100字以内。我认为学校这样做的目的就是防止学生写太多与他们个人关系不大的东西。在回答“为什么”的时候,你的答案一定要字字珠玑,句句走心。
  如果你当过咖啡师,你在回答这个问题的时候就可以说,因为你所申请的这个学校里面有三个咖啡馆,你就更好找兼职的工作;如果你是来自一个沙漠的画家,那你申请的时候就可以说你是多么激动可以在这个湖边的校园画画,可以用蓝色绿色,而不是棕色黄色。像这样的语句可以在更深的个人层面打动招生官,而非从学校网站上抄下来的宣传数据。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 2020-2021 tigtag.com |网站地图  
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部