PTE:词汇 专家总结的国外初中生必须知道的单词(上)

带来一个国外专业词汇网站总结的,初中生水平必须知道的单词(上)。这些词汇相对来说也是英文当中比较基础的一些词汇,所以各位同学赶快来检测一下,你都认识多少吧~adversary n. 对手,敌手someone who offers oppositione.g.The students are united by shared suffering, and by a common adversary.
aplomb n. 沉着,沉稳great coolness and composure under straine.g.I wish I had handled it with aplomb.
apprehensive adj. 担忧的,不安的in fear or dread of possible evil or harme.g.Virga still feels apprehensive when visiting an unfamiliar zoo.
aptitude n. 天资inherent abilitye.g.I was recently asked in an interview, what is more valued by companies – aptitude or attitude?
attentive adj. 留意的,注意taking heede.g.You make sure to be extra attentive to your friend.
banish v. 放逐,驱逐send away from a place of residence, as for punishmente.g.Napoleon loses so big that he is banished to an island.
barricade v. 阻碍block off with barrierse.g.The Secret Service ordered nearby streets and parking lots barricaded for security.
bluff v. 虚张声势,吓唬frighten someone by pretending to be stronger than one ise.g.Sporting a pith helmet, Nixon observed that“whoever is talking the loudest is pretty sure to be bluffing.”
brackish adj. 含盐的slightly saltye.g.Brackish water can be used, but freshwater is easier and less costly.
brandish v. 挥舞move or swing back and forthe.g.Hart brandished a “Free Hugs” sign as he stood alone in front of a police barricade.
circumference n. 圆周,周长the size of something as given by the distance around ite.g.That's almost 10 times the circumference of the Earth, which is a surprisingly small 24,859.82 miles.
commotion n. 骚动confused movemente.g.Moments later came commotion, followed by shouts of “Stop pushing me!”
concoction n. 混合物,调和any food stuff made by combining different ingredientse.g.There are some food combos that blend beautifully with each other to create truly tasty concoctions.
conspicuous adj. 显而易见的obvious to the eye or minde.g.Today, the link is more conspicuous:highlighted in blue, it appears directly beneath the site’s login form.
contortion n. 扭曲,弯曲a tortuous and twisted shape or positione.g.There was tumbling, human pyramids and bodies stretched into extraordinary contortions.
counter v. 反驳speak in responsee.g.The seller can then accept, counter or reject the offer.
cunning adj. 狡猾的,巧妙地shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deceptione.g.Moreover, it was no secret that Cleopatrahad ruthless cunning and superior intelligence.
debris n. 碎片,残骸the remains of something that has been destroyede.g.The blast rattled their homes and sent debris flying onto nearby properties, they said.
defiance n. 挑战,蔑视a hostile challengee.g.Schools still could expel students for violating school rules or laws and could suspend students for willful defiance of authorities in grades 4 through 12.
deft adj. 灵巧的,机灵的skillful in physical movements; especially of the handse.g.To make it work requires a deft hand.
destination n. 目的地the place designated as the end, as of a race or journeye.g.Airports get stacked up with planes that can’t take off for their destinations.
diminish decrease in size, extent, or rangee.g.By Friday morning, most of the heavy rainis expected to diminish.
disdain v. 减少,变小lack of respect accompanied by a feeling of intense dislikee.g.In the visage of Grumpy Cat, it seems, her fans found the perfect holy expression of indifferent disdain for all things.
dismal adj. 凄凉的,忧郁的causing dejectione.g.It’s been a pretty dismal month, as far as world events go, but the news wasn’t all bad thanks to some very entertainingon-air mishaps.
dispel v. 驱逐,驱散force to go awaye.g.For most of us, dispelling the darkness is as simple as turning on a light.
eavesdrop v. 窃听listen without the speaker's knowledgee.g.They eavesdrop on the noises that other birds make while hiding food in order to steal the stash later, new research shows.
egregious adj. 惊人的,过分的,臭名昭著conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensiblee.g.Prosecutors questioned him about killings and other egregious human rights abuses perpetrated by his regime.
ember n. 灰烬,余烬a hot, smoldering fragment of wood left from a firee.g.“Every hot spot is an ember that, if not contained, can become a new fire,” Obama said.
emerge v. 浮现,暴露come out into view, as from concealmente.g.They say that program has helped them emerge from the shadows, making possible a work permit, a Social Security number and enhanced self-respect.
engross v. 使全神贯注consume all of one's attention or timee.g.I don’t know how long I was reading; I was so engrossed in the paper that I did not hear any footsteps.
exasperation n. 恼怒a feeling of annoyancee.g.Like many a teenager on his school holidays, Parys is in bed, his mother explains with exasperation.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 2020-2021 tigtag.com |网站地图  
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部